[postgis-users] Simple Point Density Surface

JamesH james.holmes at newcastle.ac.uk
Wed Apr 25 10:15:22 PDT 2012

Hi all,

I am looking to take a point dataset and generate a point density raster in
PostGIS, similar to the ArcGIS Point Density tool in Spatial Analyst.

What I believe I need to do is to define a neightbourhood around each output
raster cell centre and calculate a density value for each pixel based on the
number of points that fall within that neighbourhood.

Ideally to recreate the same results, I would like to define a neighbourhood
with a radius of 8 cells - most likely a square neighbourhood.

I have been considering this for a while but I really cannot understand how
to acheive this.

Any advise or help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,
James Holmes

-----
GIS Undergraduate