[postgis-users] How to add ECW support to GDAL bundled with PostGIS Windows

Fabien Nicollet fnicollet at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 02:38:00 PDT 2012

Hello everyone,

I'm currently trying the new raster functionalities of PostGIS 2.0 and I
successfully imported some GeoTIFF file into PostGIS. I used
raster2pgsql.exe bundled with PostGIS 2 to store it.

Most of the raster data i have is in ECW format and I would like to import
them directly with raster2pgsql. I know i can convert my ECW to GeoTIFF but
i would like to do it without conversion.

When i list the supported input format of raster2pgsql (raster2pgsql -G),
it does not list ECW as it can not be distributed with the install. So i
downloaded the ERDAS SDK following these instructions:
http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/wiki/pkg-gdal-ecw

And copied the DLL in my SysWOW64 system folder (i'm using Windows 7
64-bits). But it still won't list ECW as an input format. When looking up
online, i found that PostGIS uses a bundled GDAL found in

C:\Program Files (x86)\PostgreSQL\8.4\bin\libgdal-1.dll

I don't know where to copy the DLLs so that the GDAL bundled with PostGIS
will grab them and accept ECWs rasters. Or if anyone know how to tell
PostGIS to use the GDAL install that comes with FWTools (C:\Program Files
(x86)\FWTools2.4.7\bin) which is directly compatible with ECWs (path
variables?)

Thanks a lot for your help!

Fabien