[postgis-users] Advantages and disadvantages of storing raster in PostGIS raster

Peter Baumann p.baumann at jacobs-university.de
Thu Aug 23 23:33:19 PDT 2012

Hi Jakub,
on a more general perspective, the normal database reasons apply for handling of
raster (ie, array) data in databases [1] as well:
- flexibility (through query languages); see, and demonstrated with of our many
publications [2]
- scalability; eg, rasdaman/Postgres [3] is maintaining 12 TB raster objects
since many years, and now approaching 100 TB databases
- information integration
- admin support
- collaborative work support
...etc.

cheers,
Peter

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Array_DBMS
[2] http://www.jacobs-university/lsis
[3] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rasdaman

On 08/23/2012 08:34 PM, Jakub Hettler wrote:
> Hi,
> just a simple question, I try to find some work on this issue, but nothing found.
>
> Could somebody provide some information?
>
> Thanks a lot
>
> Jakub

Dr. Peter Baumann
    mail: p.baumann at jacobs-university.de
    tel: +49-421-200-3178, fax: +49-421-200-493178
    www.rasdaman.com, mail: baumann at rasdaman.com
"Si forte in alienas manus oberraverit hec peregrina epistola incertis ventis dimissa, sed Deo commendata, precamur ut ei reddatur cui soli destinata, nec preripiat quisquam non sibi parata." (mail disclaimer, AD 1083)