[postgis-users] RAM requirement of shp2psql and psql command for 368 MB data

Paolo Corti pcorti at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 05:58:52 PDT 2012

On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 2:27 PM, Tanja Kantola <tmkantol at gmail.com> wrote:
> I haven't got PostGIS installed and have never used it.
> However, I would quickly need to make an estimate of how much RAM
> space would it require to run  shp2psql  and psql -f commands on shape
> dataset, which size is 368 MB.

Hi Tanja
cannot give you estimations, but in the worst case you may still
consider to use the ogr2ogr command: it will let you perform the same
conversion from shapefile to PostGIS, and has an option to filter out
the input dataset, so you could do the upload in several following steps
regards

Paolo Corti
Geospatial software developer
web: http://www.paolocorti.net