[postgis-users] Using PostGIS for latitude & longitude

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Fri Dec 28 05:57:01 PST 2012

On 12/28/2012 1:59 AM, nevillekb wrote:
> Hi Brent,
>
> So at the moment i am hard-coding sample lat and long values to test the
> functionality and it works!!!
>
> What i wanted to ask is how can i get these values from Google maps and then
> feed them in my DB rather then hard-coding them. Any idea how to go about?

Aside for the legal issues that might be involved based on the Google
Terms of Service. You might consider using OpenLayers the pulling in a
base map from Bing, OpenStreetMap or Google then setup OpenLayers to
allow you to click on the map and issue an ajax call to a snippet of PHP
code that connects to the database and inserts your coordinate.

This is a pattern that is commonly used for creating and editing
features in a database. In fact you can setup TinyOWS of GeoServer to
act as a WFS-T server that OpenLayers can talk directly to that will
manage all your features in a database table.

-Steve