[postgis-users] Osmosis or osm2pgsql

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu Feb 2 23:01:18 PST 2012

Hi,

On 02/03/2012 03:49 AM, mdoakes42 at verizon.net wrote:
> Hello, could someone explain the.difference between using osmosis and
> osm2pgsql to load osm data. Which is better, easier to load, more
> efficient, etc. Most of our queries are nearest neighbor type, and
> general map displays. Thanks

You will get more in-depth answers on one of the OSM mailing lists
(lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/osm-dev) or on help.openstreetmap.org.

There's a third, recent addition to the canon of importers and that's
called "imposm".

osm2pgsql and imposm are geared towards creating useful geometry tables,
whereas osmosis is more geared towards truthfully representing a full
OSM data set. They all have their advantages and disadvantages.
osm2pgsql is the standard choice for most people making maps, with
imposm gaining ground. Major difference between them is that osm2pgsql
can do updates whereas imposm requires you to drop and reimport. OTOH
imposm will create a richer table structure that is easier to understand.

Be advised that any of the tools mentioned will take between one and
several days to import a world-wide dataset even on a reasonably fast
machine.

Bye
Frederik