[postgis-users] Why so terribly slow?

DavidRA theboss777 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 06:34:50 PST 2012

Hi everybody, I wanted to develop several PL/PGSQL functions in order to work
with rasters but at the first try I found myself in trouble: working at
pixel level results to be awfully slow.

For example, I created this VERY BASIC function that takes a raster and
returns a copy of it made pixel by pixel:

Executed with a very small raster (width = 146, height = 253) it takes about
15 seconds, which would be slow but yet acceptable.

Executed with a "normal" raster (width = 1737, height = 1040) it takes...
Who knows? I cancelled it before 2 hours.

What could be the reason? Am I doing something wrong? I'd really appreciate
a hand with this matter. Thanks!