[postgis-users] Large WKT from file

yvecai yvecai at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 12:24:46 PST 2012

Hi all,
It's maybe more a bash question than a Postgis one, but ...

I'm extracting shapefiles from a SRTM contour lines postgis base, using
WKT multipolygons to cut extract by country.
This gives something like:

    pgsql2shp -f shp/my_shapefile.shp -u mapnik contour \
    "SELECT
    ST_simplify(intersection(way,GeomFromText('$poly',-1)),0.00005),
    height \
    from contours where \
    ST_Intersects(way, GeomFromText('$poly',-1));"

where $poly is a large WKT (like this one:
http://pistes-nordiques.org/download/france.wkt).

I have the following error: /usr/bin/pgsql2shp: Argument list too long

I played a little with xargs, but with no success. Is there a way to
load the wkt from a file with postgres, or something else?

yves