[postgis-users] Installing a fully functional PostGIS 2.0 on

Brian Wilson brian at wildsong.biz
Sun Jan 1 19:05:32 PST 2012

On Sun, Jan 1, 2012 at 4:43 PM, THX1138 <ap.joseph at live.com> wrote:

> Thank you for this excellent guide, this is exactly what I needed! I have a
> few questions though:
>
> First of all I am wondering why you chose 9.0 over 9.1.2? Are there issues
> with using a postgres version above 9.0?

I wrote that before 9.1.x came out. I just rebuilt everything and updated
the whole page.

> Secondly, when you refer to the "missing development headers" for postgres
> 9.0, are you referring to the
> "postgresql-server-dev-9.0" package missing?

Thanks I added a note to my page on this.

> I managed to find the 9.1.2 version of this, which can be downloaded
> installed using apt-get. If I download these, will this spare me from
> having
> to build postgres from source?

Probably... until version 9.1.3 comes out! :-) If this were TRULY the
"enterprise server" I claim to be building I'd try harder to use packages.
For now I am just experimenting.

> Also, did you just not need the JSON-C dependency for postgis; or did it
> come with something already installed in that list?

I was not building JSON support. I added it

I am getting really good at building PostGIS, one day I hope to get good at
using it.

--
Brian Wilson
Corvallis Oregon

"My life has been full of terrible misfortunes most of which never
happened."
-Michel de Montaigne, essayist (1533-1592)