[postgis-users] Normalise geometry for conversion to geography

Evan Martin postgresql at realityexists.net
Tue Jan 3 20:36:57 PST 2012

Is there any built-in function or other simple way to normalise a
geometry to the (-180-180, -90-90) range required by geography? I've
written my own function for this, but it's quite slow, because I need to
handle MultiPolygons so if even a single point needs to be changed it
has to re-create the whole thing point-by-point.

I found this discussion about doing it automatically when casting to
geography:
http://postgis.refractions.net/pipermail/postgis-devel/2011-June/013805.html
and I can see why that might be controversial, but what about some way
for the user to explicitly request normalization?

Thanks,

Evan