[postgis-users] Using raster2pgsql on a system with no postgresql install

Darrel Maddy darrel.maddy at newcastle.ac.uk
Sat Jan 7 15:35:54 PST 2012

Dear all,

I may be asking to do the impossible here but here goes.

We are about to deploy a landscape evolution model across a condor system (comprising ~1000 computers) in order to undertake sensitivity analysis. The output data will comprise hundreds of thousands of GTiff files (each with about 0.5M cells at this stage). My idea was to get the individual 'clients' (which run windows) to write output files directly into the db on our linux-based server. Now I just tried a quick check using a batch file that takes *.tif, uses raster2pgsql to create the sql file and issue the psql command to write the files into a database table.  This works (of course) on my home windows-based server but each of the clients in the condor system will not have postgres installed. I created a directory on a windows laptop which does not have a PG install and included the executables I thought necessary and an appropriate batch file but, I guess not surprisingly, it did not work.  Is there a way to do this without requiring additional software to be installed on the clients? or will I need to just upload files to a server directory and then run the command in batch mode directly on the server?  I guess I am just looking to let the condor machines do more of the work.

Alternatively is the source code for raster2psql available for direct integration into the model code? (sorry I am using the windows version to test postgis2). I guess I could also be missing an equally obvious alternative?

Hope that makes sense.

Darrel