[postgis-users] cross-database queries and choice of database configuration

Paul Ramsey pramsey at opengeo.org
Sun Jul 1 07:47:08 PDT 2012

Because the feature he wants, separately backing up spatial and
attributes, can be easily achieved inside one database by putting the
different parts in different schemas. At the same time, it would be
common to expect to run queries that would going the spatial to the
attributes, and that would be very inefficient indeed over a
cross-database dblink or fdw connection.

Just do not store data you want to join together in different
databases, full stop.

P.