[postgis-users] What have I got wrong?

Phil Shea peashea at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 9 08:45:59 PDT 2012

Hi all,
Apologies to everyone if this has already been documented before or if my problem is so obvious but......
After trying for the best part of three days I'm unable (unsure what the heck I'm doing wrong) with trying to get postgis working with postgres. If anyone can point out what it is I be hugely grateful.
I've followed the official postgis installation documentation and guides / tutorials on the PostGIS WIKI and keep arriving at the same message below in a terminal window.
createdb: could not connect to database postgres: could not connect to server: No such file or directory	Is the server running locally and accepting	connections on Unix domain socket "/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5433"?
If it helps I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and have been trying to bring things to life with Postgres 9.1 and PostGIS 2.0.1
Thanks in advance for any support.
Best regards,
Geo-rookie