[postgis-users] FW: Postgis raster data display

Mauricio de Paulo mauricio.dev at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 11:34:56 PDT 2012

Hi Pierre and Celati,
First, I should explain that the GDAL driver may have a reported bug
when trying to read overviews. You may experience performance issues on
GDAL 1.9.
I've reported the bug and it should be fixed on  GDAL 1.9.1
http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/4649

1/What do you think about overviews values ?
Usually, overviews are assigned dividing the image size by 2. I really
don't know what to expect with custom overviews. GDAL cannot read it at
the moment.

2/According to you, the plugin is abble to display a sql file with a
size of 679 MO ?
It may display with a huge delay. When GDAL's bug is fixed it should be
no problem at all.

3/In native, these data have 5 bands but we need display only 3 bands.
According to you, is it better before importing these data in database
to remove 2 useless bands in order to speed up the display ?
That's probably helpfull. I don't really know about how much it's going
to improve, but if you can avoid 66% table size increase, why not?

4/Is there update regarding the speed problem ( Gdal driver issue).
 From the link above I assume that it's under development.

5/Is there another way faster (Gvsig for instance) in displaying postgis
raster data?
I'm not really following GvSIG's development. If they use the same
driver it's most likely that they are running into the same bug.

All the Best,
Mauricio de Paulo