[postgis-users] view raster data and query performance

Melpati, Muni Muni.Melpati at dot.state.fl.us
Fri Jul 27 14:22:43 PDT 2012

Hi,
I am having some performance issues in querying data with arcgis and pgadmin itself.

1)      If the vector data has many records like 60,000 records, arcgis, from remote machine, could not retrieve all the records of the vector data.  If I select all feature it displays the attributes with a warning that it take long time to retrieve large data. It takes considerable time before being able to see all selected attributes. If switch selection, in this case no selection, again, I would not be able to see any records. I open task manager in the server machine and noticed, while I switch between select all to none feature, the cpu is shooting all the way upto 60%.

2)      I have also imported raster data by splitting  a raster file into  400 tiles. It is taking considerable time even to view all rows in pgadmin III. It is also considerably slow in view in QGIS, on the same machine, as well.
What must be going wrong.
I have also changed postgresql.config file to improve the performance with no noticeble difference. Can anyone faced this problem or have any suggestion to improve the performance? Thanks in advance.