[postgis-users] Loading a shapefile into a postgres database remotely

David Quinn daithiquinn at gmail.com
Sun Jun 3 09:33:16 PDT 2012

Hi List,

I have been using the following approach to load a shapefile into my
database locally:

shp2pgsql -s 2831 -i -I -D D:/test.shp public.test_shapefile | psql.exe -U
postgres -d test_db -h localhost -p 5432

I now want to try to load spatial data into a database in a remote
location. For the second part of my command, I tried the following:

psql.exe -U postgres -P password -d test_db_remote -h 75.75.75.75 -p 5432

I've tried a few variations of this without success. Is there anything that
I am missing?

If it is relevant, psql.exe is on a windows 7 computer, and I am uploading
the data to a postgres database on an ubuntu installation.

Thanks,
David