[postgis-users] Loading a shapefile into a postgres database remotely

Charlie Sharpsteen charles.sharpsteen at gmail.com
Sun Jun 3 10:12:33 PDT 2012

On Sunday, June 3, 2012 10:05:45 AM UTC-7, Stephen Woodbridge wrote:

> The server has to be configured to listen on 75.75.75.75 and to allow
> connection over the network device.
>
> Look at your pg_hba.conf and postgresql.conf files. and if you make
> changes to these you have to restart the server before the changes take
> effect.
>
> -Steve

Another trick that I use all the time is to tunnel the SQL connection from
the remote server to my machine:

    ssh -L5432:localhost:5432 <user name>@<remote server address>

Then I can connect to the remote database as if it was running locally and
there is no need to mess with the pg_hba.conf file and figure out how to
secure the open port, route communication through firewalls, etc.

-Charlie