[postgis-users] Installation error: database "template_postgis_20" does not exist

Kidd, David David.Kidd at kingston.ac.uk
Fri Jun 8 00:53:13 PDT 2012

Hi

When I try and install PostGIS 2.0 using Stack Builder on Windows 7 64-bit I get a warning:

WARNING: The installer has detected that the PostGIS template database 'template_postgis_20' already exists.

The message then informs me that the installer will create a new 'template_postgis_20' and any manual changes will be lost.

When I proceed with the installation I get the error,

'Removal of template_postgis_20 failed.' The error log tells me:

psql: FATAL:  database "template_postgis_20" does not exist

Following http://postgis.17.n6.nabble.com/Installing-postgis-from-an-NSIS-installer-td3562113.html,  I created 'template_postgis_20'

This case the installation proceeds further, but fails with the error  'Database installation of PostGIS functions failed. The error log contains,

psql: FATAL:  database "template_postgis" does not exist
psql: FATAL:  database "template_postgis_20" does not existt

So I create both "template_postgis" and "template_postgis_20", but the error occurs again and a new line is appended to the log:

psql: FATAL:  database "template_postgis_20" does not exist

I have also tried installing 32-bit and older version, but get the same problem. Deleting the PostgreSQL data dirs also has no effect.

Thanks

- Dave

David Kidd
Lecturer in Geographical Information Systems and Science
Kingston University London
0208 417 2541
http://evoviz.org/
http://evoviz.blogspot.co.uk/