[postgis-users] gdalinfo gives no georeferencing information for a PostGIS raster

Bborie Park bkpark at ucdavis.edu
Fri Jun 8 07:43:43 PDT 2012

Robin,

The output you're seeing is as expected.  When calling gdalinfo with
no "mode" setting, I believe the mode is defaulted to "mode=1".
According to the docs...

"mode = 1. Also called ONE_RASTER_PER_ROW mode. In this case, a raster
table is considered as a bunch of different raster files. This mode is
intended for raster tables storing different raster files. It's the
default mode if you don't provide this field in connection string. "

Basically, this one treats the table as a dataset and each row within
as a subdataset.  Subdatasets can be substantially different from the
container dataset.  The output you're seeing is for the dataset.

What you're looking for (and probably were expecting) was mode = 2.

"mode = 2. Also called ONE_RASTER_PER_TABLE mode. In this case, a
raster table is considered as a unique raster file, even if the table
has more than one row. This mode is intended for reading tiled rasters
from database. "

Here, you should see what you expect to see.  So for your call to gdalinfo...

dalinfo  "PG:host=localhost port=5432 dbname='testgis'
     user='postgres' password='' schema='ch13' table=kauai mode=2"

-bborie