[postgis-users] RE : 3D polyline simplify

Francois Hugues hugues.francois at irstea.fr
Sun Jun 17 13:01:29 PDT 2012

I don't understand what is a 3D polyline.

Your 3D points have x, y coordinates and a z value. If you make your polyline from a selection of points in a raster DEM, you will just have a polyline representing something from the 3D. With st_simplifiy, you will symplify this representation.

Instead your polyline is a multiline, I think you can use st_simplify instead of st_simplifypreservetopology.

Hugues.