[postgis-users] Forming a BAND around a linestring

pcreso at pcreso.com pcreso at pcreso.com
Fri Mar 2 10:54:55 PST 2012

I use a custom equal area projection for some large oceanic regions I work in, but depending on the extent of your linestrings, it is likely that the UTM projection for your part of the globe will give a reasonable result, if you are not too near the poles.

You may even find native lat/long gives an acceptabvle result, it all depends on how much precision you need for your purposes.

Given around 110,000m/degree, if you just want a small buffer around the linestring, and whether it is 5m or 15m doesn't matter, you could try buffering with your lat/long data & a distance of 0.0001 degrees, which should be around 10m, depending on your latitude.