[postgis-users] SRTM Raster Geometry question

Mr. Puneet Kishor punk.kish at gmail.com
Sun Mar 4 11:53:09 PST 2012

On Mar 4, 2012, at 1:39 PM, Ed Linde wrote:

> Thanks Yves, but my question still remains though. So in this raster of
> 1200 x 1200 pixels, does each pixel get assigned an elevation in meters of
> "x" meters? Or do the four corners of each pixel have different elevation
> values of a,b,c and d meters each?
> ..

I am guessing (albeit, based on my fiddling with SRTM a long time ago) that it is an ave value of "x" meters assigned to all the pixels in the tile. In essence, a 1200 pixel-square tile is behaving like a single large pixel with a value of "x" meters.

Should be easy to confirm it by querying a few random pixels in a tile.

--
Puneet Kishor