[postgis-users] Update from Alpha7 to beta 1

Antoine Guidi antoine.guidi at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 14:19:09 PST 2012

Hello, I have a question regarding postgis update.
I installed a postgis 2.0 alpha 7 over postgresql 9.1.2 in Debian
In the Manual for PostGis I can find:
ALTER EXTENSION postgis UPDATE TO "2.0.0beta2SVN";
ALTER EXTENSION postgis_topology UPDATE TO "2.0.0beta2SVN";

What I don't understand is when do I execute this Alter Extension methods.
I am specially confuse as to the two make installs inside the extensions.

I have downloaded the 2.0 beta version, now my question is

given this being the normal process to install:

./configure
make
make comments

for extensions :
cd extensions
cd postgis
make clean
make
make isntall
cd ..
cd postgis_topology
make clean
make
make install

for postgis:
make check
make install
make comments-install

where do I stop before I run
ALTER EXTENSION postgis UPDATE TO "2.0.0beta2SVN";
ALTER EXTENSION postgis_topology UPDATE TO "2.0.0beta2SVN";
in psql?

Thank you.