[postgis-users] ST_Overlaps and performance

Bob Basques Bob.Basques at ci.stpaul.mn.us
Wed Mar 7 09:46:26 PST 2012

I'll wait for the proof I think.  Just now starting to work with POSTGIS, and historically, large datasets have worked faster (for me) for this type of query when worked against a tabular numeric column.  If speed of return is the primary constraint . . .

I'll gladly jump on the wagon that this is not so with POSTGIS.   I don't have a 21 million record dataset to test with however.  :c)

bobb

>>> "Mr. Puneet Kishor" <punk.kish at gmail.com> wrote:

On Mar 7, 2012, at 11:36 AM, Bob Basques wrote:

> if (x > minx && x < max && y > miny && y < maxy) then true. .

This is precisely the kind of problem that GiST solves. The above query is not likely to be better than a spatial query.

--
Puneet Kishor