[postgis-users] ST_Overlaps and performance

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Wed Mar 7 10:53:13 PST 2012

Explain looks good.

Have you done anything to tune postgresql to use more memory or are you
using the default parameters that came with the install. postgresql by
default is configured to use minimal memory. If its the default, then I
would google for "tuning postgresql" and look at shared_buffers
specifically, there are probably others that can be opened up also but
it really depends on the amount of memory you have, the OS, what other
applications are running and using memory concurrently, etc.

-Steve