[postgis-users] Point cloud load

Ed Linde edolinde at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 23:19:34 PST 2012

Hi All,
I have this really massive 3D point cloud dataset (few TBs) that I would
like to compute an intersection with OSM geometry. The problem now is that
if its worth loading all of
this data into postgres/postgis and then indexing it? How long would it
take? Or am I better of thinking of writing some C/C++ code that can
compute some sort of a GRID on top of these cells and then possibly use
GDAL libraries to compute an intersection? Problem being that I don't know
what projection the point cloud is in and if I need to re-project etc...
and postgis would
have been ideal for it. What do you guys recommend I do?

Cheers,
Manu