[postgis-users] Problems with st_distance

Nicklas Avén nicklas.aven at jordogskog.no
Tue Mar 13 04:48:01 PDT 2012

The geography type distance calculations gives answers in meters from
unprojected data (4326).

I see no erason to belive that the postgis answer is wrong, especially
not when Stuart says he knows the distance is 1800 meters and he gets
1179.61 meters from PostGIS.

I don't know anything about that draft-logic site but I would definitly
rely more on the PostGIS answer.

The measurments on Bing, Google maps and so on will be wrong since the
webmercator projection 913900 is a flattened globe. How could it be
correct?

/Nicklas