[postgis-users] Are there any Ubuntu PPAs that serve PostGIS 2.0 beta releases?

Charlie Sharpsteen charles.sharpsteen at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 10:40:00 PDT 2012

On Wednesday, March 14, 2012 8:18:35 AM UTC-7, Charlie Sharpsteen wrote:

> On Wednesday, March 14, 2012 12:02:24 AM UTC-7, Sandro Santilli wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 07:50:32PM -0700, Charlie Sharpsteen wrote:
>>
>> > I was wondering if anyone has a Personal Package Archive for Ubuntu
>> that is
>> > tracking the 2.0 beta releases. I looked at the UbuntuGIS and Postgis
>> > project pages on Launchpad, but the only releases listed there were for
>> > 1.5.x. Even the unstable repostory of UbuntuGIS was still tracking
>> 1.5.x.
>>
>> I'm not aware of any. It'd be very welcome if you want to setup one.
>>
>> --strk;
>>

> Allright, I'll take a shot at it. Looks like there is a Launchpad
> repository that is synching with PostGIS SVN every 6 hours or so---perhaps
> I can get a nightly build set up.
>
> -Charlie

Ok, I now have a nightly build set up that is tracking the PostGIS trunk.
Binaries are being built for Oneric (11.11) and Precise (12.04-dev) and can
be installed thusly:

    sudo apt-add-repository ppa:sharpie/postgis-nightly
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install postgresql-9.1-postgis

Caveats:

   - No build of `postgis` or `libpostgis-java`, the only package provided
   is `postgresql-9.1-postgis` which contains the PostGIS plugins, extensions
   and command line tools.
   - Builds against GEOS 3.2.2, supplied by the standard Ubuntu
   repositories, thus the topology extension is unavailable.
   - Builds against GDAL 1.7.0, supplied by the standard Ubuntu
   repositories, thus some raster functionalities are unavailable.

The raw materials that went into creating this build were the PostGIS
repository on Launchpad which synchs with the upstream SVN trunk ~every 6
hours:

  https://code.launchpad.net/~registry/postgis/trunk

This repostory can be cloned using bazaar via `bzr branch lp:postgis`. The
other component is the official Ubuntu PostGIS repository that contains the
debian packaging materials:

  https://code.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-branches/ubuntu/precise/postgis/precise

This repository can be cloned using `bzr branch lp:ubuntu/postgis`. My
strategy was to fork `lp:ubuntu/postgis`, edit the contents of the debian
subdirectory to make it compatible with 2.0-dev and then publish the edited
fork to Launchpad under my `+junk` section. After this was done, I set up a
`bzr-builder` recipe that fuses `lp:postigs`, which tracks the upstream
PostGIS repo, with the debian subdirectory contained in
`lp:~sharpie/+junk/postgis`, which contains my edited packaging info, to
create a nightly build:

    # bzr-builder format 0.3 deb-version
{debupstream}~r{revno}~ppa{revno:packaging}
    lp:postgis
    nest-part packaging lp:~sharpie/+junk/postgis debian debian

Pretty slick. I will ponder upgrading GEOS and GDAL and setting up a stable
build for the most recent beta releases.

-Charlie