[postgis-users] Cant create a BIGINT column that worked under another login at one point . . .

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Thu Mar 15 14:05:23 PDT 2012

Bob,

Do this instead:

CREATE TABLE cmdstpinfo
(
  cmdrecid bigserial NOT NULL,
  updsw smallint,
  rxtime timestamp without time zone DEFAULT now(),
  cmd text,
  CONSTRAINT cmdstpinfo_pkey PRIMARY KEY (cmdrecid)
  )
  WITH ( OIDS=FALSE );

If you use type serial or bigserial, it will create an int or bigint
respectively and create the sequence.

more below ...

On 3/15/2012 3:19 PM, Bob Basques wrote:
> All,
>

> I have this sequence:
>

> CREATE SEQUENCE cmdstpinfo_cmdrecid_seq
>
> INCREMENT 1
>
> MINVALUE 1
>
> MAXVALUE 9223372036854775807
>
> START 132894
>
> CACHE 1;
>
> ALTER TABLE cmdstpinfo_cmdrecid_seq
>
> OWNER TO gismo;
>

> and I'm trying to create this table:
>

> CREATE TABLE cmdstpinfo
>
> (
>
> cmdrecid bigint NOT NULL DEFAULT
> nextval('cmdstpinfo_cmdrecid_seq'::regclass),

Use double quotes for object names, ie:

nextval("cmdstpinfo_cmdrecid_seq"::regclass),

single quotes are for text strings. This is probably what caused your error.

-Steve