[postgis-users] Any other way to use alias headers for fields?

Robert Buckley robertdbuckley at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 26 02:32:36 PDT 2012

Hi,

I was just wondering if there is any other way in postgresql in which I could assign alias names to columns other than creating views and assigning the field names with the "AS" operator?

I have shapefiles with column names which have cryptic titles. When I upload them into postgis and serve them in my viewer application, the original "cryptic" column names will be displayed. It would be nice to change them for the use in the viewer application but have the original names retained also to ensure that updates to the data can be done easier.

yours,

Rob