[postgis-users] PostGIS Raster and IDW

John Callahan john.callahan at udel.edu
Tue Mar 27 20:35:06 PDT 2012

The gdal_grid tool supports IDW interpolation.  I've used ths for CSV files
to TIFs.  Very recent versions of GDAL should be able to read/write to
postgis rasters.   Check out  http://www.gdal.org/gdal_grid.html

Personally, I would love to have postgis do spatial interpolations.
 However, the last I checked into this, PostGIS does not really have any
spatial interpolation methods (IDW, kriging, splines) built in.  I saw some
examples of people integrating R functions into postgres pl/sql:
http://www.joeconway.com/plr/

- John

John Callahan, Research Scientist
Delaware Geological Survey, University of Delaware