[postgis-users] Storing image file metadata in PostGIS

Paul Ramsey pramsey at opengeo.org
Sun May 6 02:29:12 PDT 2012

PostGIS has little or nothing to say about reading image metadata, but
you'll find that you can get a long way by wrapping a bit of scripting
around the output of 'gdalinfo' <http://gdal.orgl> or just using the
gdal python bindings directly to read the metadata.

Once you have extracted footprints, resolutions, and so on using GDAL,
I'd suggest storing them as polygons in a 'geography' column in
PostGIS. That will provide nice global indexing, no problems with
datelines or poles, and a simple query model.

P.