[postgis-users] ST_Within and GEOMETRYCOLLECTION

Martin Davis mtnclimb at telus.net
Mon May 7 08:41:07 PDT 2012

It's because the underlying JTS/GEOS operation doesn't support
GeometryCollections.  And this in turn is because of the details of the
implementation - in particular, handling the situation where two
polygons overlap.  It would require computing the overlay of the
polygons in order to detect the within condition at the point of overlap.