[postgis-users] Size of a multipolygon

Ben Madin lists at remoteinformation.com.au
Tue May 8 18:23:58 PDT 2012

Thanks Brent, Stephen,

Clearly the answer was much to straightforward for me to find!! I blame a poorly constructed question. Thank you.

On 02/05/2012, at 1:06 PM, pcreso at pcreso.com wrote:

> & FYI, I was interested in this post, as a PL/R user it may interest you as well?
>
> http://www.spatialdbadvisor.com/postgis_tips_tricks/290/r-based-delaunay-triangulation-function-for-postgis-using-the-deldir-package

Nice - I've used Regina's script before a couple of times, but I haven't had to worry about three dimensions.

Once to define approximate postcode boundaries for Australia - it's possible to obtain a list of postcode points, but Australia Post specifically declines to produce a map showing which areas are covered by which postcodes (mainly because they are not simply distributed by distance - some people get their mail by plane once a week, a live over 1000km from 'their' post-office. But they are outliers from an epidemiological perspective.

Also for mobile phone tower coverage - then truncating all the polygons at 35km from the centroid.

We now use PL/R almost exclusively for data output (except for interactive maps) on web sites - including tables.

cheers

Ben