[postgis-users] segmentation fault

Gold, Jack L (US SSA) jack.gold at baesystems.com
Thu May 10 13:52:34 PDT 2012

I'm trying to rebuild my i386(RHEL5) database (PostGIS-2.0.1SVN) on x86_64 (CentOS).  I've managed to build all of the libraries and I believe they are all installed correctly, but when I attempt to load postgis.sql, I get a seg-fault and the postmaster restarts wth:

...LANGUAGE 'plpgsql' IMMUTABLE STRICT;
ERROR:  current transaction is aborted, commands ignored until end of transaction block
STATEMENT:  CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION _ST_AsX3D(int4, geometry, int4, int4, text)
                RETURNS TEXT
                AS '$libdir/postgis-2.0','LWGEOM_asX3D'
                LANGUAGE 'C' IMMUTABLE;
ERROR:  current transaction is aborted, commands ignored until end of transaction block
STATEMENT:  CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION ST_AsX3D(geom geometry, maxdecimaldigits integer DEFAULT 15, options integer DEFAULT 0)
                RETURNS TEXT
                AS $$SELECT _ST_AsX3D(3,$1,$2,$3,'');$$
                LANGUAGE 'sql' IMMUTABLE;
LOG:  received fast shutdown request
LOG:  aborting any active transactions
LOG:  autovacuum launcher shutting down
LOG:  shutting down
LOG:  database system is shut down
LOG:  database system was shut down at 2012-05-10 20:42:21 UTC
LOG:  autovacuum launcher started
LOG:  database system is ready to accept connections
LOG:  server process (PID 8543) was terminated by signal 11: Segmentation fault
LOG:  terminating any other active server processes
WARNING:  terminating connection because of crash of another server process
DETAIL:  The postmaster has commanded this server process to roll back the current transaction and exit, because another server process exited abnormally and possibly corrupted shared memory.
HINT:  In a moment you should be able to reconnect to the database and repeat your command.
LOG:  all server processes terminated; reinitializing
LOG:  database system was interrupted; last known up at 2012-05-10 20:42:22 UTC
LOG:  database system was not properly shut down; automatic recovery in progress
LOG:  record with zero length at 0/2A9A0F0
LOG:  redo is not required
LOG:  autovacuum launcher started
LOG:  database system is ready to accept connections
LOG:  server process (PID 8572) was terminated by signal 11: Segmentation fault
LOG:  terminating any other active server processes
WARNING:  terminating connection because of crash of another server process
DETAIL:  The postmaster has commanded this server process to roll back the current transaction and exit, because another server process exited abnormally and possibly corrupted shared memory.
HINT:  In a moment you should be able to reconnect to the database and repeat your command.
LOG:  all server processes terminated; reinitializing
LOG:  database system was interrupted; last known up at 2012-05-10 20:42:28 UTC
LOG:  database system was not properly shut down; automatic recovery in progress
LOG:  record with zero length at 0/2A9A148
LOG:  redo is not required
LOG:  autovacuum launcher started
LOG:  database system is ready to accept connections
LOG:  server process (PID 8581) was terminated by signal 11: Segmentation fault
LOG:  terminating any other active server processes
WARNING:  terminating connection because of crash of another server process
DETAIL:  The postmaster has commanded this server process to roll back the current transaction and exit, because another server process exited abnormally and possibly corrupted shared memory.
HINT:  In a moment you should be able to reconnect to the database and repeat your command.
LOG:  all server processes terminated; reinitializing
LOG:  database system was interrupted; last known up at 2012-05-10 20:42:33 UTC
LOG:  database system was not properly shut down; automatic recovery in progress
LOG:  record with zero length at 0/2A9A1A0
LOG:  redo is not required
LOG:  autovacuum launcher started
LOG:  database system is ready to accept connections

I'm looking around for more detail, but I'm not seeing anything. Any ideas where I should look next?

--Jack Gold