[postgis-users] toTopoGeom performance tips

Luca Morandini lmorandini at ieee.org
Sun May 13 18:59:32 PDT 2012

Folks,

I have some complex geometries (about 500 polygons, each with an average number of
xxx points) on which to build a topology.

Unfortunately, the process is rather slow - it is about 90 minutes on a dedicated
2GB Ubuntu VM - hence I am here asking for ideas on how to tune PostgreSQL.

I was unable to find any obvious bottleneck:
- CPU load is about 8% after I increased the number of VCPUs.
- Total consumption of RAM is low compared to the available memory.
- I already increased the shared buffer memory to 128MB - still no joy. I doubt
whether this last move was helpful... but I did try.

Thanks in advance,

Luca Morandini
Data Architect - AURIN project
Department of Computing and Information Systems
University of Melbourne