[postgis-users] Ubuntu Postgis and Shp2pgsql

Lee Hachadoorian Lee.Hachadoorian+L at gmail.com
Mon May 28 10:55:40 PDT 2012

On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 10:25 AM, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it> wrote:
> Il 28/05/2012 16:23, Martin Fafard ha scritto:
>> Hi
>>
>> Quantum GIS is a good way to load shape in Postgis (SPIT extension)
>
> SPIT is obsolete. Try DB Manager.
> All the best.

José,

PostGIS will install shp2pgsql, a command line importer. There is also
a GUI, which works standalone or as a pgAdmin plugin (though in
earlier PostGIS versions you had to jump through some hoops to get the
pgAmin integration--I don't know if that has improved in 2.0).

Check out the PostGIS manual
(http://postgis.refractions.net/documentation/manual-2.0/using_postgis_dbmanagement.html#id2811268)
or BostonGIS (http://www.bostongis.com/pgsql2shp_shp2pgsql_quickguide_20.bqg)
for a tutorial.

There are additional options. ogr2ogr is a very flexible commandline
tool which allows converting between several different GIS data
formats. shp2pgsql is a one-trick pony, but more straightforward to
use. SPIT (mentioned above) is a GUI over ogr2ogr, and its major
limitation was keeping case in identifiers like field names.

Paolo,

I looked in DB Manager and don't see the import functionality. Where is it?

--Lee
--
Lee Hachadoorian
PhD, Earth & Environmental Sciences (Geography)