[postgis-users] Summarystats (Raster, Polygon)

Pierre Racine Pierre.Racine at sbf.ulaval.ca
Fri Nov 16 09:06:55 PST 2012

I don't know if this is what you are referring to but another way to speed up things (and get fast approximate results) without having to store multiple resolutions is to tile everything very small (10x10) and precompute and store all the stats generated by ST_SummaryStats in extra columns for each tile. You can also add the centroid of the tile in an extra geometry column and then you can just query just for the intersecting centroids and compute the aggregate stats yourself. This would be equivalent to if the raster type would store the stats internally. But we choose not to do it because we can store them as extra columns (we are in a database!).

Pierre