[postgis-users] ST_RemoveRepeatedPoints on multipart polyline

Joe Larson joe at joelarson.com
Tue Nov 20 12:04:27 PST 2012

I am admittedly a novice PostGIS user and not sure this function was intended to do what I'm trying to achieve. I'm 'tuning' a Computer Automated Dispatch (CAD) systems road linework, these 14 features have been flagged as MultiPart geometry https://dl.dropbox.com/u/38388156/dup_verts_polyline.zip (not acceptable in this CAD system). Upon further inspection with QGIS's "Check geometry validity", many duplicate nodes/vertices appear to be a problem. Here is that is report as CSV https://dl.dropbox.com/u/38388156/gut_export_qgis_error_rpt.csv

I tried to use PostGIS with:

create table pts_rmv as
select ST_RemoveRepeatedPoints(the_geom) as geom
from "MultiPart_DupVertice";

Embarrassed by my sql, but please - if anyone can tell me if I'm even on the right track here. I would really appreciate it. _ joe