[postgis-users] Contours of rasters without or with tiles

Mathieu Basille basille at ase-research.org
Tue Nov 27 13:33:06 PST 2012

Dear Hugues,

I see now what you mean. ST_Envelope gives the behaviour you described
(i.e. one polygon per tile, which is 9 lines). If I try to ST_Union them, I
get the exact same problem I had before with ST_Polygon: not all
polygon-tiles are unioned, as can be seen with a ST_Dump:

SELECT ST_Dump(ST_Union(ST_Envelope(rast))) FROM test.raster_tile;
                                          st_dump
  ({1},0103000020E6100000010000000900000024068...
  ({2},0103000020E6100000010000000B0000009F1A2...
(2 lines)

With this line of code on the tile version of the raster, one would expect
a single line as output (as is the case on the non-tiled raster).

So my questions are really now:

1) Is this a desirable feature that vector functions such as ST_Envelope or
ST_Polygon behave differently on tiled and non-tiled rasters? From my point
of view, it shouldn't be the case, as the decision to tile a raster should
be transparent from a user point of view (it's just a trick to get better
performance for most GIS procedures). The same code should run fine on both
types of rasters in my opinion.

2) How can we circumvent this "feature"? Using ST_Union should do it, but
it's obviously not working as expected (at least by me).

I feel like I'm getting quite far from my initial request, so maybe it
should be better to start a new thread... Any opinion?

Best,
Mathieu.

--

~$ whoami
Mathieu Basille, PhD

~$ locate --details
University of Florida \\
Fort Lauderdale Research and Education Center
(+1) 954-577-6314
http://ase-research.org/basille

~$ fortune
« Le tout est de tout dire, et je manque de mots
Et je manque de temps, et je manque d'audace. »
  -- Paul Éluard