[postgis-users] Why PostGIS ST_Intersection much slower than ArcGIS Intersect ?

Andrea Peri aperi2007 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 23:11:36 PST 2012

Hi Paul,

I like understand better this situation.

I read often that to fast the ST_Intersect() over huge geometry is
better to clip them on lower size geometries.
This is understandable for me.

But the Etienne use-case speak of the ST_Intersection() don't the
ST_Intersect (that is fast instead).

My doubt is "Why is fast the ST_Intersects() if it is a huge geometry ?"

And when you say a "prepared intersection" are speaking of the usual
teorical solution to clip a huge geometry on a set of lower sized
geometries ?

Thx,