[postgis-users] where is postgis.sql?

Vince Miller vincentpmiller at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 1 17:53:23 PDT 2012

Thanks Mike, but your method produces the following message:

ERROR:  could not open extension control file "/usr/share/postgresql/9.1/extension/postgis.control": No such file or directory.

My OS is Ubuntu server 12.04, which includes with postgresql 9.1, which installs simply with "apt-get install postgresql".

I don't know if this install includes the "server headers" that postGIS requires, and I don't know how to find out if it does.

Other respondents to my initial query have left the impression that postgis is NOT included in the ubuntu distro, that there is no simple "apt-get" for it, and that I must download and build it from source separately. To do this I evidently must also apt-get gcc and make, and download and build several other packages (gdal, Geos, Proj, libxml2, and json-c). I have done this but, in the postgis-2.0.1 directory, the command

./configure --with-raster --with-topology --with-xml2config=/home/vince/geos/libxml2-2.7.8/xml2-config

fails with the follwing message:

configure: error: could not find headers include related to libxml2

What am I missing here?