[postgis-users] How to make some geometry column visible to Qgis

Pieri70 pierigis at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 01:12:54 PDT 2012

Ciao Sandro
I must premise that these are my first steps in using postgis, so, be
patient.
Then, isn't it possible to query data directly from the main "entities"
table by creating views based on geometry type?
Today I was testing this technique without success..

I have a big table (entities) with all the dxf geometries inside, with
geometry column "wkb_geometry" and GEOMETRY as data type (srid 3004).
My syntax is:

create or replace view public.pointdata as
select * from entities where layer like 'somepointlayer';

INSERT INTO geometry_columns (f_table_catalog,f_table_schema, f_table_name,
f_geometry_column, coord_dimension, srid,type)
  VALUES ('testdb','public', 'pointdata', 'geom', 3, 3004,'POINT');

This create a view named pointdata but automatically set f_geometry_column =
"wkb_geometry" (the name of the source geometry column) and type = GEOMETRY
as in source table.

So it doesn't seem to work..
I'll try your solution