[postgis-users] How to make some geometry column visible to Qgis

Pietro Rossin pierigis at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 05:11:59 PDT 2012

> > It works instead..
> > I saw that "geometry_columns" is a view but the method works.
>
> Works at doing what ? It probably just silently does nothing.

If I make the above command and I look into the geometry column view I can
see a row with my information added.

> What does this return ?
>
>   SELECT f_table_name, f_geometry_column, srid, type
>   FROM geometry_columns WHERE f_table_name = 'pointdata';

I'll try Monday at work..

> > The view created is correctly and immediately seen by qgis that loads
the
> > point data.
> > The only problem is that it takes a year to load it..
>
> That's because QGis scans the whole table since it's unable to find
> the type and srid information in the geometry_column table.
> Am I wrong ?

No it immediately find the type and srid information.
In qgis when I open a connection there is a layer called mypointdata and
it's seen as point feature. When I click on add layer qgis take a lot to
load it.
But I think It's a question of data to be loaded.  In fact I tried to make
a new view with only 2 fields in it and qgis is much more fast on loading
it.
Pietro