[postgis-users] Geocode function fails when callingnormalize_address

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Thu Sep 6 17:13:45 PDT 2012

Rob,

Regarding your normalize issue, it's probably one record causing it.  I
thought we fixed some of these issues in 2.0.1 and 2.1.0SVN so you might
want to upgrade your script to the 2.0.1 -- there is an upgrade script you
can use packaged in the tar ball.
If that still doesn't fix your issue, look for variables often found in
regex expressions in your address (things like (, )  and . for example might
be throwing it off and we might not be escaping right.  Hard to tell which
one until your narrow down to the one bad record.
You might have to run each update as a single to see which one fails

Couple of other tips
1) you don't want to geocode 100K records all at once since it has to
complete as a single transaction.  You'll need to do it in batches.  We use
pgScript for that batch processing so we can just run in a pgAdmin window.
though any scripting tool of your choice would do.
http://www.postgresonline.com/journal/archives/181-pgAdmin-pgScript.html

2) Don't do (geocode(address)).*   That often calls geocode for each field
in output so would slow down your processing n fold (e.g. you'd have like 5
calls instead of 1)

You really want to do geocode(address) As geo

(geo).geomout etc.

See example in docs --
http://www.postgis.org/documentation/manual-svn/Geocode.html  -- we do a
left join to guarantee that even if no records returned for an address, we
can stamp the address as attempted with a -1 rating
I think we thought about this after we wrote the book :(

-- SHAMELESS PLUG STARTS HERE ---
On bright side, we just signed our contract for Second Edition of PostGIS in
Action and have started writing it :)  more on that later.  that will cover
newer enhancements in geocoder, raster, topology, PostGIS 2.0-2.1 (basically
at least 2.0 and 2.1 changes)  and PostgreSQL 9.1-9.3

We'll be posting the new Table Of Contents soon here, and let people know
when they can start purchasing
http://www.postgis.us

Those who buy the new book, is our understanding, will automatically get
electronic copies of the first edition, so even if you buy early, you'll get
our drafts as we write them and also have the older book to work with.

-- END SHAMELESS PLUG

3) The book was written before we introduced the limit, so again look at:

http://www.postgis.org/documentation/manual-svn/Geocode.html  (feature is
available in 2.0 as well)

Use: geocode(address,1)

for faster performance and then you don't even need the DISTINCT ON since
you'll get back at most one answer and the best one.

Hope that helps,
Leo and Regina
http://www.postgis.us

  _____