[postgis-users] Newbie Duplicates Question

Michael Papet mpapet at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 19 12:17:29 PDT 2012

I am slowly assembling a postgis 2.1.0SVN database with Tiger2011 data using the loader scripts. I've re-run the scripts for a state a couple of times because I made some newbie mistakes.

Disk space is an issue for me right now.  Is there a column I can check in the state tables for duplicate rows? For example,
SELECT tlid,
COUNT(tlid) AS NumOccurrences
FROM tiger_data.al_addr
GROUP BY tlid
HAVING ( COUNT(tlid) > 1 )

finds many duplicates, but I don't know enough about the column to know if it's supposed to be unique. Column arid far fewer finds duplicates, but again, I don't know if that makes them true duplicates.

Thanks for your patience,

mpapet