[postgis-users] replicating features on self-join

Martin Davis mtnclimb at telus.net
Tue Sep 25 21:19:46 PDT 2012

This is one of those cases that SQL seems to make unnecessarily
difficult.  Writing this query in a procedural way would be trivial, so
why is it so hard to express in a declarative relational way?

DISTINCT ON (a.id) is the classic non-standard Postgres way of handling
this.

The other hack to get uniqueness of the driving table is to GROUP BY
a.id.  You then need to use appropriate aggregation functions to
maintain the dependent columns from a.  You might be able to use MAX on
newclass.  MAX might work for the other invariate a columns too, but it
might be faster to use FIRST. This is not built into Postgres, but is
available as an extension:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/First/last_%28aggregate%29

Or, you could just SELECT a.id, MAX(newclass) and then join back to a to
recover the dependent columns.

No idea whether any of these ideas will be performant.  Maybe someone
else has a more clever way of doing this.