[postgis-users] difficulty in adding postgis to existing postgreSQL database

tasneem dewaswala tasneem.europe at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 23:25:13 PDT 2012

Hello,

I am very much new to postgreSQL and postgis.
I installed postgreSQL on my windows XP few months back. This are my
version details.

"PostgreSQL 8.4.13, compiled by Visual C++ build 1400, 32-bit"

I created a database which is working absolutely fine. But now i want to
add spatial features to my existing database, hence i installed postgis.
But i am facing problems in adding this spatial features to my database.
When i create a new database with postgis template everything works good,
even simple
" select postgis_full_version();" query works. Since my database is quite
large i don't want to build again a new database.

Please guide me how i can solve this problem and add postgis to my existing
database.
my postgis version is

"POSTGIS="1.5.5" GEOS="3.3.5-CAPI-1.7.5" PROJ="Rel. 4.6.1, 21 August 2008"
LIBXML="2.7.8" USE_STATS"

Thanks & regards
Tasha