[postgis-users] Subdividing a polygon (rectangle) into equal segments (smaller rectangles)

René Fournier m5 at renefournier.com
Wed Aug 14 15:01:47 PDT 2013

Hi everyone,

Just wondering how to go about something:

Currently, I have a table with thousands of polygons (rectangles). I can query the table to see which of them contains a given point (lat/lng). With the resulting rectangle, I further need to determine *where* in the rectangle the given point (lat/lng) lies.

The reason is that each of the rectangles are actually subdivided into 12 smaller, equal rectangles, numbered/lettered A-L. How would you go about doing this? It doesn't seem like something I can compute in the initial query to retrieve the containing rectangle… Any ideas?

…Rene