[postgis-users] Can we store physical locations using local coordinate system in postGIS?

Paul Ramsey pramsey at opengeo.org
Sun Aug 18 18:40:43 PDT 2013

PostGIS does its conversions using PROJ4, and only transforms that can
be expressed in PROJ4 are magically supported. To convert between
local system (between a local UTM and Lambert, for example) the
coordinates actually go first from UTM to geographics, then from
geographics to Lambert. The upshot being, that the only way to do
local transforms using in-built PostGIS functionality is via
geographics, so your transforms from local to geographic have to exist
from the start, not "eventually".

Now, you could invent your own system, using a side table to store
affine transform matrix information and the ST_Affine function to
convert between local systems. And then a final set of Affine
relations to convert to a local UTM grid, which then gets you out to
geographics in the end. But that'll be your work, not something you'll
get form in-built functionality (except for the affines, those are
there)

Yours,

Paul